Latest News from Strey Khmer
- Recently, we participated in two meetings for civil society on the Koh Pich stampede.
- We will be screening a film on Domestic Violence Against Women on 10th December 2010 for International Human Rights Day.
- Our Radio team is finalizing its end of year report for our donor – we will send them an update of our past radio programs with the aim to inform them, receive some feedback and trigger further debates as to how to strengthen our live broadcasts. The team is also in close contact with a UK-based charity, Women In Radio Group, for technical and network support.
- This week, funding for the strengthening and expansion of our safehouse project was accepted by our donor. The team is very excited about this. We will be able to strengthen the current program going on in Kampong Cham program, as well as to build a new safehouse in Battambang Province, where we have begun other projects (including our DEVI microbusiness activities) and have an increasing women’s network. Representatives of our team will go to Kampong Cham Province before the end of this month, to assess the current needs there, and will go to Battambang at the beginning of the new year.
- DEVI Business keeps going strong. We are selling cookies in 4 different parts of the country now – the capital city (Phnom Penh), the South (Kampot), and the North West (Siem Reap and Battambang). Our team is currently working on a broader processed agricultural project (for local and organic produce, made essentially by women) in which we will include DEVI. In this we will aim to strenghten our social model (helping women even more) and developing the market for our products, locally and internationally. Our team is also in close contact with Universities and individuals in the US and Europe, who will be providing us assistance in the months to come.