Strey Khmer is a Cambodian women’s rights organization which was started in 2005 by women from all sections of society and professional backgrounds who saw a crucial need to promote the participation of women in society to enable them to have a proactive role in the reconstruction of Cambodia. Strey Khmer supports women to raise their voices and expand their choices. We advocate for women’s equality and human rights to support their inclusion in the development of Cambodia at all levels; along with supporting the development of women’s skills and livelihoods to promote their economic independence. Key aspects of our work include advocating for women’s leadership and participation within the political processes; and working with partners to end violence against women in Cambodia. This also entails lobbying for the inclusion of ‘state-based violence against women’ within that agenda.
Our current programme focus includes:
– ‘Women’s Voices, Women’s Choices’ radio programme’ which is broadcast every week via the Voice of Democracy; and disseminated to over 40 Listener Clubs made up of local women across half of the provinces in Cambodia;
– ‘Women’s Economic Empowerment and Livelihoods programme’ which provides women with economic opportunities to improve food security and financial independence
– Khmer Young Women’s Scholarship and Intern project which supports young women to access our training, mentoring and coaching (and scholarships) to help them develop their skills and confidence with a view to taking on leadership roles in civil society and within politics in the future
– Violence against Women and Girls – working alongside our sister organisations in Cambodia and across the region to advocate for ‘women-centred’ prevention and protection strategies and appropriate responses and services for women and girls who have experienced any form of gender based violence.
– Women’s Leadership and Political Engagement runs throughout all of Strey khmer’s programming thereby ensuring that developing women’s confidence and capacity to take on leadership roles and stand as candidates in local and national elections remains part of the core focus of our work
– Women’s Training and Capacity Building – we host a range of trainings for Cambodian women to promote strategies and provide current information relating to women’s leadership, women’s rights and related laws and violence against women. The overarching goal of this programme is to empower women in the urban and rural communities where we work to become advocates for their rights
For all women and girls in Cambodia to have a voice to realize their rights to be free from harm and to be treated equally in every area of their lives in their homes and communities in their work place and in wider society.
We empower women to find and raise their voices and realize their rights by providing space for dialogue, by supporting skills development, and through advocacy and livelihood support.
- Promote Women’s Voices and extend the reach of the Radio Programme
- Advocate for women’s rights and equality
- Economic Empowerment and Financial Independence for women
- Promote Women’s Leadership and Political Participation
- Prevention of Violence against Women
- Provision of educational and internship opportunities to young Cambodian women to increase their economic opportunities and reduce violence against women
- Income strategy and Donor Development
- Building a strong Governance structure
- Staff Capacity building
- Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E)